100 Word Challenge Week 8, October 29

This week our blog topic is a special climate change prompt. Our responses are part of a project from a university to see how kids feel about what is going on in the world (COOL!) You will need to use this phrase somewhere in your piece.

Make sure you create your best piece. focus on your ideas and details, description, and order (content and ideas, organization, word choice, voice, sentence fluency, and conventions)

This week on the Climate Change Challenge, I want you to think about ENERGY. The prompt is:

…’ What did I tell you about the lights?’

16 thoughts on “100 Word Challenge Week 8, October 29

1. Jacob 100wc 25/10/21

What did I tell you about the lights my mom yelled then I woke up she was saying to save energy then turned them off so I said lets make a video to help save energy then this man said that he liked that then he had all of his friends save energy it came up then we went and got an sponsor to tell on tv to save energy to help the planet be better then we had everyone save energy then the world is more safe because of all of us being green.

1. Hello Jacob,
      You made good use of the prompt in your story. Well done.
      I liked your action plan when you suggested making a video to share the need to save energy. Many speak of saving energy but not so many put thought into action.
      Remember to check where new sentences might be taken.
      Ross Mannell (Team 100WC)
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

2. Zoe 100WC Week 8
    My mom was always worried when we moved to the mountains because she was scared of fires. But we don’t have heat in our house so every winter we burn not too many fires. But one night I just could not go to sleep and I was so cold, so off I went to the living room to start a fire. I was heating up and felt way better, but the crackling from the fire woke up mom and she came out and in a scared voice she said “What did I tell you about the lights”! Then when I looked outside I saw flames.

3. Peyton M 100 WC Week 8..
    What did I tell you about the lights, said Carl’s mom peering in his room with all 12 lights on. Carl just got home from school that day and he didn’t want another lecture about turning on as few lights as you can, do not litter at all because it hurts the Planet, or Do not leave the sink on because it wastes water. So he asked but why does it hurt the Planet anyway? His mother looked shocked and then asked him if they ever taught why those things hurt the Planet at school and then His mom told him all about energy and how important it Really is.

1. Wow! Twelve lights seems like a lot for just one room. I can understand why Carl’s Mom was upset. It sounds like Carl is going to get another lecture and a lesson. I bet he wished he’d turned some of those lights off now.

4. Anaya 100 WC Week 8
    One morning my mom woke me up just to say….GOOD MORNING, WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT THE LIGHTS. I’d forgotten that I left the lights on all night, she was really really really mad at me. So she told me that I had to pay the light bill for the next two months which I thought was not that bad until…. I saw how much it was. That thing was literally 500$, when I saw that my eyes were “not working”. By the way my mom added an extra 100$ to the bill. I learned not to leave the light on.

5. Brenda 100wc week 8
    One day I was a the park and I was playing with my sister and my brothers then my mom said ‘’ it is time to eat .’’ So my sister and brother went and we had meat and soup and it was so good .Then we went to our rooms and then I was watching a movie in my room and it was scary . I was to scared to go and turn off the light but then my mom said ‘’what did I tell you about the lights.’’So i had no choice I needed to go to turn the lights off I was so scared but I did it .When I got the my room I was okay so I when to sleep.

6. Logan 100 hundred week8 wc.
    Thank you all for coming here today to look at an Invention to stop climate change. We have a new machine that should stop climate change. We will start the machine now. The Machining is starting. What did I tell you about the lights turning them off. sorry about that and now look at the amazing invention boom! It worked well, it cleared climate change and make sure it does not come back. We will make sure to do our part. Good job man, that show was great. I messed up then at that point but we did it to solve climate change.

1. Hello Logan,
      It would wonderful if someone invented a machine to clean up the atmosphere and reverse climate change. Until someone can, we’ll have to do what we can to make a difference. Well done.
      Ross Mannell (Team 100WC)
      Teacher (retired), N.S.W., Australia

7. Addie 100WC week 8

I got up and had some breakfast. I brushed my teeth and got ready for the day. I watched some TV on Sunday. Then my mom yelled at me. Mom said to me what did I tell you about the light? she yelled at me. I ran to my mom. When I got there she looked mad and her face was red. My mom said you need to turn off the light in the bathroom. I always forgot to do that. Then my mom said how you were wasting energy. So I turn off the light. Mom was happy. I want back to TV.

8. Arienne 100WD Week 8
    My brother and I were going to a haunted house. It was even real! We started walking inside and there were like people dressed up in costumes like vampires and Frankenstein. Me and my brother decided to split up and when I was walking I found a room. I opened the door and it made a creaking noise. The light was off and I could feel someone else was in the room with me. ¨HELLO¨ I could not see anything so I went to the light switch ¨DON´T TURN ON THE LIGHTS¨ I did not listen she then said what did I tell you about the lights?

1. Hello Arienne!
      Your writing made me think of the times I’ve visited haunted houses. I wonder what you would describe what you saw right after you flipped on the lights if had you continued your story…
      Keep writing!
      Francine (Team 100)
      Twin Cities, Minnesota

9. Bailey 100WC Week 8
    My mom always says to not turn on the lights because of the power bill Because she does not want to pay for the electric bill so Jackson said mom why can’t I just turn on the light for a second I can’t find my homework and if I can’t find it and turn it in I’m going to have to redo it. Mom always says that if we turn the power on that would cost her about three to five hundred bucks on the electric bill but Jackson said that if he can’t find his homework he won’t get into college but he lied.

10. Damian 100 Word Challenge Week 8
    I always had trouble sleeping; I took medication that didn’t work. It was supposed to help me sleep. I always read my book until 2am. I always have my light on while reading. My mom is upset. She says: I am wasting electricity, her money. Today I was doing that very thing, reading my book with the lights on, so my mom got upset again and said, “What did I tell you about the lights!”. I groaned and turned them off. Then when she went back upstairs, I turned them on again to read my book.

11. Hello Damian,
    Your story used a different but effective approach to the use of the prompt compared to others I read.
    Troubled by insomnia (inability to sleep), you would stay up reading until your mom complained about you leaving the lights on. It’s a little sneaky to turn them back on when she left but I think many of us did something like this when we were young. Well done.

12. Hi Damien,
    That is a very familiar scene in my house! I’m thrilled that my children like reading so much, but I do get frustrated when they fall asleep and the light is left on all night.
    However, you can’t read when the light is off and perhaps it is still better to be reading than tossing and turning in your bed because you can’t sleep! It’s not wasteful if you are actually using the lights.
    Well done,
    Michelle, Team 100wc,
    Melbourne, Australia